Back-to-school time can be stressful for students and parents. There’s a lot of hustle and bustle, trying to learn new things and remember every new detail. Some things, that always remain true, are also worth repeating.
Can we please remind ourselves and families of these important things?
* Keep it simple. Everything does NOT need to be fancy and done up. The bar can’t keep rising to the point that everything is a monumental project. Every holiday doesn’t need to be an ordeal and every adornment or gesture doesn’t need to be “Pinterest-worthy.” Simple is truly beautiful.
* Set an example for kids on social media. Social media is meant to connect people and bring them TOGETHER. It’s not a place for bragging, excluding others or mean comments. Posts should engage, inspire, educate and make the world a smaller, better place.
* Be kind. It’s really not that hard. THINK before you speak – ask yourself: is it TRUE, HELPFUL, INSPIRING, NECESSARY or KIND? If not, don’t say it.
* Always be open to helping someone. Look for the one person being excluded and offer to include or talk to them nicely. Tell someone if you see another kid being bullied – get them HELP, don’t be part of the bullying. Ask yourself, “how can I make a positive difference today?”
* Be honest. Ask for help when you need it. Admit when you’ve done something wrong – don’t dig a deeper hole (see also American men’s swimmers.) Stay humble – it’s attractive, versus arrogance, which isn’t.
* Your heart defines your beauty much more than your outward appearance. People become “ugly” quickly when they are mean. Beautiful hearts outlast every other aspect of appearance, and friends will appreciate your thoughtfulness more than your cute outfit/hair/shoes, etc. People want friends they can trust and depend on more than anything else.
* Be brave and know that God goes with you. He never forsakes you. Ever. He is trustworthy and dependable. He can strengthen you with the same power that created the entire world and everything in it. Trust Him, lean into Him and prioritize Him. You’ll never regret it, and you’ll never have to depend on doing it all alone. When you come closer to Him, He comes closer to you.
* Never forget, not even for a second, that you are LOVED. No matter what.